Sunday, August 10, 2008

We Did It!



Our sprint triathlon was this morning, and we did it in record time - not olympic record time, mind you, just our personal bests. We swam 1/4 mile in Lake Chicamauga, rode our bikes 8.2 miles to downtown Chattanooga, and ran two miles over bridges and through parks to the finish line. It was a beautiful morning - bright and sunny and not too hot.



Laura beat us all with a time of 1:06. She is a speed demon on her bike! I am very proud of her agreeing to the challenge. She is a great friend!



Rebecca came in next at 1:14. She was just glad to have it over. She hates running!



I finished in 1:16. I have three excuses - I am older, I am spastic (I wasted 2 minutes in transition because I couldn't get my helmet to snap), and I am riding a bike meant for a 10-year-old boy.

At the beginning of the summer we had set our goal to finish in 1:30, so we were just pleased to make our goal. I'm not sure we would have stuck with it if I hadn't written in my Panasonic olympic-essay entry that we were doing this. That gave us the extra motivation to keep training.

Before we started the race, they gave all the participants "body marks." Since this is the closest we'll probably ever get to tattoos, we thought you might want to see them. The ones on our legs showed our ages.





And here's one more picture of us at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo. We stayed at the Holiday Inn there.

2 comments:

The Huneycutt Family said...

Congratulations on doing so well! I'm really impressed! Doing all of that would probably do me in.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am so impressed with your perseverance. This will make you stronger for all the walking and sightseeing in China.

Vickey Lloyd