Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shopping in China



Shopping in China has been a real experience for us. Terry loves to bargain, and he was right at home in the silk market (except that the sheer number of choices of things to buy was overwhelming). I would have loved to "window shop," but that is apparently just not done in China. If you even hesitate a little in your step or cast your eyes over the merchandise, you will be accosted and have items shoved in your face over and over. They don't seem to understand "I'm just looking." We shopped at the Cloissone factory and one woman followed me all over the superstore there. I could not get away from her. I probably would have bought several items if I had been able to shop in peace.

It was actually even a little scary when going down the path from the Great Wall back to the bus. There were vendors on either side of a narrow walkway, and they were jumping out at you from both sides. Our family got split up, and each of us ended up running this guantlet alone. I was almost in tears by the time I got to the bus.

There are great bargains to be had in China if you have the stomach for this sort of approach. In fact, Terry is out shopping right now!

One exception has been the Olympic superstore. It was Western-style shopping - meaning that the price is what you pay. There is no bargaining and no hard sell. I bought a lot there.

Another bargain in China has been concessions at the Olympic venues. Drinks of all kinds are just 70 cents!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I nominated you for an award- check it out here.

www.5onawhim.blogspot.com

Kelly