Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Food Adventures (by Terry)



I decided that since sports fans often get sidetracked on food that I would simply start on food. Bottom line is if you like everything and like to try new stuff, then you would have had a blast. If you're not so inclined, then nuf-said.

I pride myself in liking almost everything, and I'll say that I really didn't try anything that I couldn't eat. However, I do believe that genuine Chinese food has a little room for improvement --- you won’t find any good ole American/Chinese food like Kung Pao Chicken.

Most of the meats I tried were very good. However, I would have to get used to the idea of several being served cold and with sweet spices. The best meats were duck and pork --- mostly enhanced by higher fat content than westerners are accustomed.

The vegetables are considerably different and are served in a wide variety of ways, though most were bland in flavor. Additionally, they all seem to have a similar aroma --- kind of like broccoli, greens, or cabbage. Add that to curry and that is what I seemed to smell all around town.

Bottom line, if you come to China one day, then you need to accept the idea that meat is often served whole --- eyes, beaks, and fins, that few vegetables taste like you are accustomed, and deserts can be anything --- e.g., pumpkin soup (sweet, warm, and with rice added).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really great pictures - I gotta tell ya, it all looked good to me! Thanks for taking the time to share - I'm sure you are rushed.

Anonymous said...

Well I know now that you will be even skinnier when you come home. The pictures are great and the food looks good.
enjoy!
Laura

Anonymous said...

ok. I am stumped...... I would really like to hear you blog about exactly what was in each of those dishes... especially the hairy egg looking things..lol

the pictures are really crisp... I am enjoying following the adventures.

seriously......please do tell us what exactly IS on those plates/in those bowls..

Rebecca Yarosh