Monday, October 6, 2008

Noodles!

From noodle shop


We talked a lot about the food we sampled in China, so I thought I'd also tell about one of our food adventures in Japan. We decided to try one of those Japanese restaurants where you sit cross-legged on the floor. There was one near our hotel. I'm sorry I don't have a better view of our table, but you can see here that folks behind us were sitting in regular tables.

From noodle shop


There's a reason for this. Sitting cross-legged while eating was actually quite uncomfortable.

Next came the real fun when we tried to order without an English menu. I thought that Ramen noodles could never be bad (see the first picture for what I ordered), but it was extremely fishy-tasting and was only lukewarm.

Rebecca ordered plain rice, or so she thought. It was purple with a strange spice on top.

From noodle shop


Terry ordered - well, he wasn't sure what he ordered. But this is what came:

From noodle shop


We were very impressed when he ate it. Sign him up for Survivor!

From noodle shop


He told us he would like to say it was better than it looked, but unfortunately he couldn't.

Nathan was the winner. He stumbled into ordering the Japanese equivalent of chicken nuggets!

From noodle shop

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that Terry was really brave to try to eat that. I think I would go hungry first. I'm glad at least one of you got something that he liked. Mom